Friday, November 30, 2012

#3... EPIC Fail!

#3 DIY Quote on Canvas
pinned from Southern Belle

Sorry for the extremely long absence, but I think I can still complete the challenge.  I have been doing some pinterest projects but for some reason, I can't ever seem to remember pictures... and no one wants that. :)

Anyway, on to the epic fail....
So, I've been decorating for Christmas and itching to get some Pinterest Projects started.  I saw this cute project using vinyl letters and canvas that has been covered.
I decided to make my kitchen "Grinch themed" (this screams elementary school teacher!) this Christmas and I was dying to use the quote "What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store.  What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more." for this project.  And I had what I thought was a genius idea.  Use wrapping paper as the bottom layer, in fact, cover the Van Gogh canvas I current have with the wrapping paper.  Yes, you are a genius.  I bought all the materials at Michael's (I even got re-positional vinyl letters and green paint!) and headed home to begin.
Here's where it became an epic fail.....  I figured I needed to do a couple test runs, just to see what I was getting into.  So I pick a letter and begin.....when i went to reposition the letter, I notice this....

Yikes!  In less than a second, it takes off part of the paper and also makes the letter no longer sticky. This project ended abruptly.  Epic Fail....  
I think the culprit is cheap wrapping paper, from Target ($5), maybe if it was glossy it would have worked out better.  Frankly, I'm not sure I'm up for trying again right now.  Maybe another time, maybe next weekend, time will tell.  I am disappointed and a little more broke.

Vinyl Letters $6.99
Paint 1.19 (x2)
Wrapping Paper $5
sponge brush $0.87
Total: $14.05 plus tax and nothing to show for it.

1 comment: